Tuesday, August 24, 2010

History Geek.

I am a history teacher. Yes, I also have a Social Studies certification, but history is my first love. Having the opportunity to live in Europe is exciting for many reasons, but one of the major reasons was the opportunity I have to see a lot of historical places. So far I have not been disappointed.

On Sunday I went to a smaller coastal down on the Atlantic with my uncle and his family. Over 2000 years ago the Romans had established a town in this very place which thrived (because of tuna migration from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic) for several centuries. Many of these ruins still exist and there is a nice museum, as well as walking tour, of the ruins. After walking around the ruins for an hour I had another one of those "wow, I am really here" moments. We were having lunch overlooking the Atlantic and within 50 yards were those 2000 year old Roman ruins we had just been walking through.




I have much more to talk about but it will have to wait. I am actually in Seville now and just finished my first full day of my program orientation. But it is past midnight here and I need to wake up at 7 so it is bed time.

2 comments:

  1. I never knew migrating tuna could build such nice pillars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous!!! Um, may I please come and teach in Spain with you next year?! lol Keep taking more pictures. We will have a picture date when we both go home to Michigan next year.

    ReplyDelete