Tuesday, August 17, 2010

That is fish?




I am not a big fish fan. That includes seafood. I am just not a fan of the fishy flavor. However, when I learned I was placed in a town (Motril) that was right on the Mediterranean I knew seafood would be the staple. With that said I came to Spain with an open mind (I guess technically an open mouth) to try the seafood cuisine. I told my uncle about this and he said the approach we could take was that he would put something in front of me, I would try it, and he would tell me what it is after (a risky move, but I trust he won't throw something that bizarre in front of me right away). After he picked me up at the airport yesterday we stopped for a quick bite to eat. The restaurant was across the street from the Med. Sea and only a 10 minute walk to his townhouse. We started off with some potato salad and a white fish that came fried in the small filet form. This was actually pretty good. From what he said, and my understanding, white fish usually doesn't have a lot of flavor, which is right up my alley. He put some lemon juice and salt on it and it worked out pretty well. He then ordered another plate of a different white fish. This had more of a fishy taste to it and had bones, so I wasn't as big a fan, but it was still mild. All in all it was a pretty good way to start my seafood introduction, with the rule being if in doubt, go with a white fish...

I am sure this is only the beginning of me talking about my experimentation with seafood and me talking about food. If you followed me while I was in Honduras I at one point kept a week diary of what I ate during the day (In sum, beans, tortillas, and eggs). I will probably do that later on as well, and hopefully this one will have a little more variety!

Anyway, time for dinner (its almost 10 o'clock here). This will be a major adjustment...

1 comment: